Thursday, October 30, 2008

Back from the vet!

So today, mom took me to the vet and it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. I didn't really like travelling in the car, but I didn't get sick - I just drooled a lot. Mom sure must have been glad that she brought something to cover the seat!

The lady at the desk was very nice and talked sweet to me. She told me that I was beautiful and she told me I had very nice toenails - mom was extra proud of that because we trimmed my toenails a few days ago and I never put up a single ounce of fuss! She put me on the scales and I weighed 76lbs - that is only four pounds less than Bella, mom tells me, and Bella is about four inches taller than me!

Then the lady at the desk took us in a room and we waited. I sat on the floor, even though it was pretty hard and cold. Mom said she should have brought me a blanket, but I made myself comfortable eventually. I have a lot of extra padding and extra fur, so it worked out alright.

The vet lady was very nice and she crouched down and made friends with me, talking nicely and stroking my face. She tried to feed me some treats but I was way too jazzed up to even take weeners from mom.

She looked in my ears and in my mouth, she stuck something cold in my bum (Mom was really proud that I never even looked sideways when this happened), felt my hips and my shoulders, listened to my heart, then she got down and patted me again. We went outside and mom walked me back and forth so she could look at how I walk. I really liked her, and eventually, I even took a treat from her... I spit it right out and mom picked it up and I ate it from her hand.

The vet lady and mom talked a lot about the different things that mom can do to make it hurt less when I move around. She thought it was a "terrible shame" that the man who kept me let me get this way, and mom agreed. I think that this means more icky pills, but I'm not sure. Mom also said she might change my food to something that has stuff in it so I might not have to eat as many yucky pills... but mom knows all about that stuff. I'll let her have the keyboard now!

Love yous!
Callie

Hi readers;

To be clear, my main goals in vetting Callie were to address the issues of her worn down teeth, her loose hips, and her stiffness in her front right shoulder. I also sought the advice of the vet on spaying and other procedures I felt Callie may require.

To start, and make Callie more comfortable, Dr MacArthur prescribed 2000mg of Omega 3 fatty acids daily, 2000mg glucosamine daily (I had already started her on this), and 1600mg chondroitin sulfate daily, as well as a prescription of Meloxicam for the pain. I knew about the Meloxicam prior to this visit as I spoke directly to the pharmacist where I had acquired the glucosamine and he mentioned that he mixed it for another canine patient and it ended up being substantially less expensive than Medicam, which is the animal grade option. I mentioned this to Dr MacArthur as we were talking about markup on meds and she wrote out a prescription - I'm not sure she would have thought of it had I not mentioned it, glad I remembered!

She recommended select blood tests to check for heartworm and lyme disease, which could be affecting her mobility, as well as the state of her kidneys in relation to the proposed long term use of painkillers. The hips, she more or less said there was little that could be done for them (aside from a full hip replacement!) and thus prescribed the meds. She would like to have an x-ray of the front shoulder done to see exactly what we're dealing with and what sort of physical rehabilitation could be done as she has completely wasted away the muscle on that front shoulder (the other is fairly scarce of muscle as well). I have also noticed Callie tucking that paw under from the first joint when she lays down or stands, as though she has no feeling in it at all.

I was pleased that Dr MacArthur was realistic about this treatment, the expense, and the options that truly exist for a dog of her age that aren't invasive enough to affect quality of life. She also recommended not spaying her at this age. I tend to agree.

Overall, the estimation for the work that Callie presently needs is between $305 and $429 and include:

Prep panel & PCV - $55
4dx snap test (HW/lyme/ehr/anaplasma) - $43
Pre-Anesthetic Medication - $15
Anesthesia (IV) - $47
Radiograph 14 x 17 (2) - $110

Tax - $35.10

Total - $305.10 - which can go up, depending on how many radiographs they need to truly see what is in there.

They require the anesthetic for the x-rays because the position in which they have to place her to acquire the correct photos are unnatural and probably painful. I plan to have the blood tests done on a visit prior to x-rays so we can be certain that anesthetic will not be harmful to her.

Dr MacArthur was not concerned about Callie's teeth or infection. A veterinary dentist would likely order them removed immediately, but she has no trouble eating and is at no risk for infection, so we believe that she will be fine. Should they trouble her, they will be something we will address.

I have been in contact with the local GSD rescue and they are on "backup" should Callie's medical bills become too much of a burden for me financially - I am a waitress - I have to be realistic about what my options are. Should the GSD rescue take Callie, they would foster her and raise the money for her to have the treatments required, and then adopt her out to a new home. Callie has been shy (if it were not apparant from her blog) and has slowly but surely, every day, come out of her shell little by little. I feel it would set her back to be moved not once, but twice, and to different vets. I very much want to keep her, but I hope that I am not being selfish - this is my biggest concern over everything. I have fallen completely head over heels in love with this dog, but I want the best for her in all cases. I do not believe that "the best" for her necessarily means invasive orthopedic surgeries, but even just the most comfort possible until she is ready to cross rainbow bridge.

There is something about old dogs - how gracious and appreciative they are, that really makes me stop and think. We could all learn a lesson from the capacity for love and forgiveness that Callie has shown coming into our home and, in her typical, quiet, noble way, settling in and just enjoying loving and being loved.

I thank you all for your well wishes and good thoughts!

Amanda

No comments: